Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Zucchini Muffins

Last night instead of going to the movies, I suggested to Phil that we make zucchini muffins because I had an extra zucchini and if I am going to eat any dessert, I wanted to make sure I knew what was in the food. OF COURSE he said okay, since he would be bringing home most of them. I made a healthy version of this recipe I found on allrecipes.com (my go-to). The recipe is for bread but I didn't have a bread pan so I decided to make muffins. They came out super moist and yummy. I also added choc chips to half the batch. Here's the recipe with my alterations:

Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups cups all-purpose flour
  • 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup applesauce 
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups grated zucchini (about two zucchinis)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup choc chips (optional- but WHY wouldn't you?!)

Directions

  1. Grease two muffin tins. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
  3. Beat eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared tins.
  4. If you are baking one batch at a time, bake for about 25 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. If baking both batches, bake for about 55-60 minutes. Cool on rack for 20 minutes. Remove muffins from tins, and completely cool.
CALORIES: 195 per muffin. If you add choc chips, it comes out to about 205 per muffin. 

The entire recipe made about 21 muffins but you can make more if you put less batter in each tin- I like bigger muffins so mine kind of overflowed :/

I also forgot to take pictures!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment