Sunday, May 27, 2012

Family Reunion

This weekend we took the high speed rail from Taipei to Kaohsiung to meet my family. We stayed at the Ambassador hotel, which is right next to the Love River. My youngest uncle picked us up and then took us out to dinner in the city. The next morning we woke up early to go running by the river. The air is definitely better here but it's a little hotter than Taipei since we were in the South. After our run, we went to Pingtung, a town right outside of Kaohsiung and also where my dad grew up. I met about 20 members of my dad's family. It was awesome and made my entire trip worth it. They were so nice and welcoming. I only wish I had gotten to know them sooner.

My parents gave me ginseng and chocolate to give them as gifts. Asians are so random. We all had lunch in Pingtung, where my cousin opened a Korean restaurant. G said it wasn't traditional Korean food so I think it was a Taiwanese Korean fusion. It was good and as usual we filled up on more than enough food. During lunch my fourth uncle told me that one of my aunts is also my godmother. Thanks Dad for letting me know. It was nice being there and hearing stories about my family and just seeing everyone together for the first time (that I can remember). This weekend has made me realize how much more important family is and how important it is to learn about where you came from.

Aside from family stuff, G and I went into the city on our own after lunch and explored the street market. I can't remember what it's called but it's the main one in Kaohsiung. Things are a little cheaper and you definitely hear a lot more Taiwanese being spoken. We bought scallion pancakes rolled with minced pork for dinner and called it a day. I'll definitely be coming back to Kaohsiung soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment